Thursday, March 25, 2010

Really? Is This Common?

Am I the only one who didn't know about this?

Twice in the past few days I have been told about someone falling into a grave. Both incidents took place shortly before the burial. One person walked onto the green turf-sheet that was covering the hole. Right in front of everyone. The other was a floral assistant setting up arrangements who just fell on in. (Her co-workers pulled her out just before the hearse pulled up!)

I'm not surprised that it happens. That, I understand. What gets me is that it appears to be occurring frequently, yet escaped my attention. Even while immersing myself in research about grief and dying for the past two years!

Here's your assignment. Ask around, if possible. Have you, or anyone you know, seen this happen? Report your findings here. This could be a real eye-opener.

I wonder what else is happening under my nose. The mind reels......

3 comments:

  1. I have not heard of this, but while we were at Grandpa Stringer's burial last summer I remember thinking about it (and then I was ashamed I had even thought of it). I'm going to have to ask around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it, though it seems a likely enough problem. People are distracted by their grief and not grounded in the world around them at funerals and graveside services. Seems like most cemeteries would take safety measures, like roping off the excavated area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm meeting with a funeral director next week. This is on my list of topics to cover. Will let you all know what he says.

    ReplyDelete

When someone dies, (other than attending the service), I do this for the family-